For Kids & Teens
Fairfax is an extremely kid-friendly town in so many ways. Cars generally obey the traffic rules, drive slowly and stop for pedestrians, big or little, as a matter of ingrained habit. And the streets are bicycle friendly for children and families.
The weekly Farmer’s Market is not just for shopping; it’s also a time for families to gather together, lay down a blanket in the grass and watch their little ones dance to the (almost) acoustic live music, or head over to the bouncy house set up on the perimeter of the market.
There are parks, events, programs, festivals, camps, and shops that simply make children happy.
- Revolution 9 knows just what kids think are fun and cool. And you can even still play Pac Man on a table console from the 80’s, or just chill for a bit on the couch.
- When you step into Fairfax Variety you might feel like you’ve dropped into a genuine old-fashioned general store. Actually, you have. There are games and toys and costume jewelry – and candy-store candies that hearken all the way back to the 50’s … or maybe the 30’s!
- Keen on surfing and skate boarding? Live Water Surf Shop has what you need.
- Wow, that was hard work. Time for an ice cream. Wait in line (that’s actually fun too and it’s so popular there is always a line) at the Fairfax Scoop.
- Feeling crafty? Some kids love making things and Rainbow Fabrics has so much to offer. It’s a fabric and craft shop.
- Teenagers looking for some clothing or accessories … there are so many choices. Something exotic? How about stopping by Tibet Moon or Culture Shock.
- Contemporary or vintage clothing at a bargain price? Check out Magpie, Yeah Baby, Lola’s Depot or Pretty Baby!
- Time out! Let’s chill at the Fairfax Library for awhile. Browse books, jump online, pick up a music CD or a DVD movie. And stop by the Community Garden nearby to see what’s coming up!
- Roots To Branches is an organization that has year-round programs for teens and youth providing educational programs through Service-Learning.
- Send ‘em to camp. Check out Camp Fairfax, sponsored by Fairfax FOCUS for youngsters every summer. (Actually, FOCAS has programs all year long.) This homegrown local camp for school aged youth focuses on the unique aspects of our lovely little town of Fairfax. This simple and old style summer camp explores arts and crafts, the natural environment, and recreational games under the wonder of the redwood trees. In addition, we have a variety of specialized classes that happen throughout the summer in drumming, sustainability, yoga, carpentry, dance, drama, arts and crafts and more.
- Camp Tamarancho offers Boy Scouts many programs each year.
- Camp Arequipa is where the Girl Scouts have their summer camps.
- Cañon Kids Sports Camp offered by Cañon Swim & Tennis Club, a great summertime athletic program.
- Fairfax Tracks Nature Day Camp – Wilderness skills, nature connection and ecological stewardship wrapped in lots of adventure and play.
- And of course there’s Little League.
- For the real little ones? Fairfax Moms is aimed very specifically toward the latest crop of new kids and new parents.